THE ARCHITECTURE
OF DEATH

Nunhead Cemetery

Opened in 1840, Nunhead Cemetery occupies a 52 acre hillside site in the London Borough of Southwark. Like its Magnificent Seven siblings at Tower Hamlets and Abney Park, neglect meant nature (especially its woodland and weeds) overtook much of the cemetery. In 2001 Nunhead Cemetery was reopened to the public, following the a restoration and renovation project. The beautiful cemetery chapel that greets visitors to the site was named by The London Festival of Architecture, in 2013, as one of the capital’s ‘most underappreciated’ architectural pieces. 

 

Other Collections

contact the architecture of death

 

4 + 14 =

All content copyright © 2022-2024 The Architecture of Death